Still not pregnant!
Well its all become more complicated, because thats the way it always is in my life.
Ok, I have been trying to get my favorite mare preggo for the past few months, and I am starting to feel thwarted. I don't know why i am surprised. She has never conceived before september before... But anyway, as the expenses mount, and the Vet visits become increasingly unpleasant, I get antsy, and Kara starts going bonkers at the mere whiff of the Vet.
You see, if it were up to me, I would not do this to her.
Kara hates sex. HATES it. I have to sedate her in the same way i would for a painful medical procedure, to get her to stand for it. Poor Lucky, who is a gentleman in every way, really doesn't understand. He's patient, but he doesn't want to get kicked. He's athletic, but its very hard for him to chase her when he's on his hind legs, trying to get his groove on. Finally, the expense for all the drugs is positively OBCENE! Its a good thing the vet is my friend or I would just pack it all in and decide to do something else.
My dearest wish is that Guerma, GG, and Mahiar will be easier to breed. Perhaps willing and even grateful, like the white arab mare we have here right now. She practically does it all for us, and all I end up doing is supervising, in a hands off kind of way.
But every 3 weeks, we take a look, using the ultrasound machine, and see if we can spot a little garbanzo-bean sized bubble, floating in Kara's uterus. Every time, so far, we have been denied! Its absurd that we have to run this farm on the sale of babies, but thats my job. Kara's job is to produce the baby. Since she is such a fine mare, its both of our duty to her breed to make sure that her progeny gets out and into the world. The are never enough nice horses in this world, and there are too few very nice Akhal Tekes in this country, especially being bred for sale to other breeders.
I might have been more tempted to give up if her second baby had been crap. But she wasn't.
GG is a beautiful platinum blonde, with stunning blue eyes, and a perfect conformation. She's is a great moving and wonderful tempered filly. So what am I gonna do? The world needs for GG to have a sister. One mare out of Kara is nice, but what if she dies? Ok and now the biggest question of all-- how to explain this to a horse? Like she'd care!
Horses die all the time. Kara's mom died foaling this past season. One filly may only have a few foals. Several fillies will have many chances to leave Kara's mark on their breed in America. Hopefully there will be outstanding colts, too. I love my stallion, Lucky. He and Kara have the best chance of making a baby that exceeds Mom's quality. And thats what I am really looking for-- I think its what all breeders hope for. A baby that will exceed both Sire and Dam's scores for type and conformation. Thats really what keeps me calling the vet back, the hope that we will have that someday.
Eric would probably beat me with a shoe, if he heard me say this, but he wouldn't be particularly surprised... I don't care if we never make money. I just want to make super foals and send them out into the world to kick ass, and to make more really super kids. My dreams are of beautiful, swan-like colts and fillies.
Its what I think about when I am falling asleep, and its what I dream of, in my idle daydreams, standing in line at the bank.
Frankly, its the thought that keeps me from committing suicide.
Ok, I have been trying to get my favorite mare preggo for the past few months, and I am starting to feel thwarted. I don't know why i am surprised. She has never conceived before september before... But anyway, as the expenses mount, and the Vet visits become increasingly unpleasant, I get antsy, and Kara starts going bonkers at the mere whiff of the Vet.
You see, if it were up to me, I would not do this to her.
Kara hates sex. HATES it. I have to sedate her in the same way i would for a painful medical procedure, to get her to stand for it. Poor Lucky, who is a gentleman in every way, really doesn't understand. He's patient, but he doesn't want to get kicked. He's athletic, but its very hard for him to chase her when he's on his hind legs, trying to get his groove on. Finally, the expense for all the drugs is positively OBCENE! Its a good thing the vet is my friend or I would just pack it all in and decide to do something else.
My dearest wish is that Guerma, GG, and Mahiar will be easier to breed. Perhaps willing and even grateful, like the white arab mare we have here right now. She practically does it all for us, and all I end up doing is supervising, in a hands off kind of way.
But every 3 weeks, we take a look, using the ultrasound machine, and see if we can spot a little garbanzo-bean sized bubble, floating in Kara's uterus. Every time, so far, we have been denied! Its absurd that we have to run this farm on the sale of babies, but thats my job. Kara's job is to produce the baby. Since she is such a fine mare, its both of our duty to her breed to make sure that her progeny gets out and into the world. The are never enough nice horses in this world, and there are too few very nice Akhal Tekes in this country, especially being bred for sale to other breeders.
I might have been more tempted to give up if her second baby had been crap. But she wasn't.
GG is a beautiful platinum blonde, with stunning blue eyes, and a perfect conformation. She's is a great moving and wonderful tempered filly. So what am I gonna do? The world needs for GG to have a sister. One mare out of Kara is nice, but what if she dies? Ok and now the biggest question of all-- how to explain this to a horse? Like she'd care!
Horses die all the time. Kara's mom died foaling this past season. One filly may only have a few foals. Several fillies will have many chances to leave Kara's mark on their breed in America. Hopefully there will be outstanding colts, too. I love my stallion, Lucky. He and Kara have the best chance of making a baby that exceeds Mom's quality. And thats what I am really looking for-- I think its what all breeders hope for. A baby that will exceed both Sire and Dam's scores for type and conformation. Thats really what keeps me calling the vet back, the hope that we will have that someday.
Eric would probably beat me with a shoe, if he heard me say this, but he wouldn't be particularly surprised... I don't care if we never make money. I just want to make super foals and send them out into the world to kick ass, and to make more really super kids. My dreams are of beautiful, swan-like colts and fillies.
Its what I think about when I am falling asleep, and its what I dream of, in my idle daydreams, standing in line at the bank.
Frankly, its the thought that keeps me from committing suicide.

Comments