Hard At Work

Meet Violet. Her mother is my favourite mare and her father is Khan, my Diablo stallion. I was really excited to be expecting a kid from my two favourite horses. She turned out to be a dandy.
Sorry I didnt Blog about it sooner, but I am breeding mares again, too.
Its not work like everyone else's. Theres a lot of fooling around during the hot part of the day when I am not urgently getting stuff done. Then when the time has come-- and you can only do this when the mares say they are ready--you gotta get everything togeter really quick and get it done. Now mares dont just tap you on the shoulder and let you know they are ready. You have to ask. This means bringing the guys by and seeing what the girls do. In between times I water the grass Boss my assistant around, buy supplies, and drink gallons of milky coffee. But when it has to happen, breedings get done in the rain or shine, or horrible heat.

Babies usually come in the middle o the night when you want to sleep. Tho thi mare has considerately had all her babies between 6pm and 12 Am every time she drops one. I love her for a lot of reasons, but I especially love her for that!

This picture is of my favourite part of watching my newborn foals--the suck of life.

I never get tired of watching them get up and find that nipple. They bumble around at first, but usually find it pretty fast. I try to catch the birth and hold the baby and touch it all over, before they nurse. This imprints on their mind that people are OK. It also kinda makes her think I am another mommy. This can be useful once that baby gets bigger.

Violet got to see the Dog too. I spent the first night in the stall, with V and her mommie, sleeping in the hay, Wally by my side. So the baby considers me some kind of strange herd mate, and the dog as perhaps her strange-smelling brother. We, he is strange. Even for a Blue Heeler.

This is More of Violet on her first day: she looks like she wants to see if I have another foal to play with in this picture. I love her large ears. She looks just like her mother, and that pleases me very well.

I think this next breeding is going to go to Gam or Sam. I am not sure which, yet as i gotta kind of calculate what the Squires clinic would charge to collect from Sam vs. the free breding that I would get from Gam. Sam's what I want to try. But Gam's a nice horse and I really wouldn't mind having one to sell from him.

We will see. I'll check back with you on that. For now, I will enjoy Violet.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ok, I was wondering who the frak "Karagush" was. I'd asked a few people. Hadn't even dreamed it'd be you.

Horse Babies! Whoo hoo!

I still happily remember walking into our barn back when I was a junior in high school and finding that little philly had been born overnight. That was so cool! Even though she wasn't ours (her mother was owned by friends of my parents), I actually got to name her! "Tamber".

Then she tried to kill me two years later...

As I bent through the fence to get some hay, she ran over, spun around and kicked at my head. One hoof left a red mark across my forehead. The other hoof tuffed the hair on the back of my head.

I don't know which one of us was more surprised that I was still alive.

Brett

Popular Posts